The community of Fassa
It is likely that the magnificent community of Fassa has its deepest origins in the organisational forms of the indigenous communities that have been settled in the area since ancient times.
After Romanisation, these communities arrived at a definitive structure of their institutions in the Lombard era, characterising themselves as autonomous communities of “free men”.
The community of Fassa, during that historical period, had to fight hard to preserve its privileges of autonomy and freedom, against the interference of the Prince-Bishop of Bressanone.
During the modern era, Fassa shared the historical destiny of the other Ladin valleys of the Sella, in the political-administrative domain of the Land Tirol and the Habsburg Empire. The Napoleonic wars, which saw the inhabitants of Fassa fighting valiantly alongside the Tyrolean popular militias, had very important consequences for the fate of the community institutions and relations with the Ladin institutions; most of the local communities were suppressed, the Episcopal Principalities were abolished, and the Val di Fassa between 1817 and 1818 was definitively detached from the diocese of Bressanone and the District of Bolzano and added to the diocese of Trento and the District of Cavalese (Circolo di Trento).